Noninvasive non Doses Method for Risk Stratification of Breast Diseases
The article concerns a relevant issue that is a development of noninvasive method for screening diagnostics and risk stratification of breast diseases. The developed method and its embodiment use both the analysis of onco-epidemiologic tests and the iridoglyphical research.
Widely used onco-epidemiologic tests only reflect the patient’s subjective perception of her own life history and sickness. Therefore to confirm the revealed factors, modern objective and safe methods are necessary.
Iridoglyphical research may be considered as one of those methods, since it allows us to reveal changes in iris’ zones in real time. As these zones are functionally linked with intern organs and systems, in this case mammary glands, changes of iris’ zones may be used to assess risk groups for mammary gland disorders.
The article presents results of research conducted using a prototype of the hardware-software complex to provide screening diagnostics and risk stratification of mammary gland disorders.
Research has been conducted using verified materials, provided by the Biomedical Engineering Faculty and the Scientific Biometry Research and Development Centre of Bauman Moscow State Technical University, the City of Moscow’s GUZ Clinical and Diagnostic Centre N°4 of the Western Administrative District and the First Mammology (Breast Care) Centre of the Russian Federation’s Ministry of Health and Social Development.
The information, obtained as a result of onco-epidemiological tests and iridoglyphical research, was used to develop a procedure of quantitative diagnostics aimed to assess mammary gland cancer risk groups. The procedure is based on Bayes conditional probability.
The task of quantitative diagnostics may be formally divided into the differential assessment of three states. The first, D1, is the norm, which corresponds to the population group with a lack of risk factors or changes of the mammary glands. The second, D2, is the population group exhibiting risk factors including non-cancerous changes of the mammary glands. The last group, D3, is the population group actually suffering from the mammary gland disorders.
In order to retrieve statistically relevant results on the quality of developed procedure for quantitative diagnostics, the verified materials have been divided into the training group and control one.
To search for an informative complex of symptoms an algorithm of their search in Delphi software environment has been used. The choice of informative symptoms has been made using the informativity coefficient according to the Kullback metric. Since the computation of the Kullback informativity coefficient is possible only for two different states, the pair-wise evaluation of informativity coefficients I (D1/D2), I (D1/D3), I (D2/D3) has been performed.
The procedure of quantitative diagnostics was reduced to the evaluation of sickness probability for each symptom complex, encoded according to the onco-epidemiological test results, using Bayes formula of conditional probability.
Results of used procedure of quantitative diagnostics are based on the Bayes formula in the pair-wise modification using the informative symptoms with different diagnostic thresholds. The results showed that as a diagnostic threshold, the aposteriori probability of 0.9 is a reasonable value. Thus, the probability of right diagnosis will be 90%, the probability of wrong diagnosis will be 2%, and the probability of indeterminate diagnosis will be 8%. In case it is necessary to minimize the probability of wrong diagnosis, the aposteriori threshold value of 0.97 may be chosen. Then the probability of right diagnosis will be 84.4%, the probability wrong diagnosis will be 0.4%, and the probability of indeterminate diagnosis will be 15.1%.
The analysis of the check sample showed that in case of classification using the chosen threshold the error rates of the first and second kind never exceeded 10%, thereby allowing us to recommend the use of the developed technique for the risk stratification.
Therefore, the conducted research allows us to conclude that the proposed method to assess the risk group of mammary gland disorders is informative and prospective.
The evaluated method of the iridoglyphical research allows us to evaluate the microcirculation dysfunctions in iris’ zones that are neurotrophically linked with vegetative centres of the spinal cord. Thus, the use of iridoglyphical research increases the general sensitivity of the diagnostic process.
authors: I.A. Apollonova, D.A. Parpulov, V.A. Semikopenko
12, December 2014, reference: http://old.technomag.edu.ru/en/doc/750893.html
Download full abstract: SE-BMSTU_Dec2014_504to520
- Ananin V.F. Teoreticheskie osnovy iridologii. V 2 t. T. 1 [ Theoretical foundations of iridology. In 2 vols. Vol. 1 ]. Moscow, LETMO Publ., 1993. 184 p. (in Russian).
- Vel’khover E.S. Klinicheskaya iridologiya [Clinical iridology]. Moscow, Orbita Publ., 1992. 432 p. (in Russian).
- Vinogradova N.N. Morbidity, mortality, quality of health care, risk factors and prognosis in patients with breast cancer. Nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsiya “Sovremennye vozmozhnosti i problemy diagnostiki i lecheniya raka molochnoy zhelezy”: mater . [Proc. of the Scientific-practical conference “Modern possibilities and problems of diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer” ]. Moscow, 2005, p.16. (in Russian).
- Voznyy E.K., Belonogov A.V., Satirova E.F., Yurgina O.V. Breast cancer (advanced approaches). In: Kharchenko V.P., Rozhkova N.I., eds. Klinicheskaya mammologiya: temat. sb. Vyp. 1 [ Clinical mammalogy: thematic collection . Vol. 1 ]. Moscow, STROM Publ., 2005, pp. 181-188. (in Russian).
- Galimullin F.Z. Evaluation of constitutional features of an organism using techniques of iridodiagnostics. Iridolog: sb. mater. Vsesoyuznoy assotsiatsii iridologov [ Iridologist: proceedings of the All-Union Association of Iridolog ists], 1990, no. 2, pp. 6-14. (in Russian).
- Glantz S.A. Biostatistics: how to detect, correct and prevent errors in the medical literature . Circulation, 1980. (Russ. ed.: Glantz S.A. Mediko-biologicheskaya statistika . Moscow, Praktika Publ., 1998. 459 p.).
- Davydov M.I., Aksel’ E.M. Cancer statistics in Russia and CIS in 2007. Vestnik RONTs im. N.N. Blokhina RAMN = Journal of N.N. Blokhin Russian Cancer Research Center RAMS , 2009, vol. 20, no. 3 (suppl.1), pp. 1-158. (in Russian).
- Deyneko D.O. Zabolevaemost’ rakom molochnoy zhelezy zhenshchin g. Moskvy i puti sovershenstvovaniya mediko-sotsial’noy pomoshchi. Avtoreferat kand. diss. [ Incidence of breast cancer of women in Moscow and ways to improve the health and social care . Abstract of cand. diss.]. Moscow, 2006. 24 p. ( In Russian, unpublished ).
- Zhuravlev V.I. The autonomic nervous system, meridians and homeopathy. Kliniko-morfologicheskie paralleli. Metodicheskie rekomendatsii. 1, 2 ch. [ Clinical and morphological parallels. Methodical recommendations. 1, 2 parts ]. Moscow, Publ. of Moscow homeopathic center, 1991, pp. 52; 78. (in Russian).
- Zakharov Yu.A. Iridodiagnostika [Iridodiagnostics]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 2006. 256 p. (in Russian).
- Kogan I.Yu. Giperplasticheskie protsessy v molochnykh zhelezakh u zhenshchin (patogenez, diagnostika, prognozirovanie techeniya). Avtoreferat kand. diss. [ Hyperplastic processes in breast cancer in women (pathogenesis, diagnosis, prediction of disease) . Abstract of cand. diss.]. St. Petersburg , 2008. 39 p. ( In Russian, unpublished ).
- Korzhenkova G.P., Rozhkova N.I. Mammographic screening for breast cancer. 3 Vserossiyskaya nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsiya s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem “Sostoyanie i perspektivy razvitiya mammologicheskoy sluzhby Rossiyskoy Federatsii i rol’ obshchestvennykh organizatsiy”: mater. [Proc. of the 3 All-Russian scientific-practical conference with international participation “Status and prospects of the Breast Service of the Russian Federation and the role of non-governmental organizations” ] Moscow, 2005, p. 32. (in Russian).
- Mumladze R.B., Kharchenko V.P., Rozhkova N.I., Prokopenko S.P. New diagnostic and treatment technology in breast cancer screening. Annaly khirurgii = Annals of Surgery , 2001, no. 1, pp. 43-48. (in Russian).
- Misyuk N.S., Gulenya A.M. Nervnye bolezni. Ch. 1. Osnovy topicheskoy diagnostiki [Nervous diseases. Pt. 1. Fundamentals of topical diagnosis]. Minsk, Vysshaya shkola Publ., 1984. 207 p. (in Russian).
- Nelyubina L.A., Khaylenko V.A. Modern clinical epidemiology of breast cancer and prospects for prevention. In: Kharchenko V.P., Rozhkova N.I., eds. Klinicheskaya mammologiya: temat. sb. Vyp. 1 [ Clinical mammalogy: thematic collection . Vol. 1 ]. Moscow, STROM Publ., 2005, pp. 27-38. (in Russian).
- O merakh po sovershenstvovaniyu meditsinskoy pomoshchi pri zabolevaniyakh molochnoy zhelezy: Prikaz Ministerstva zdravookhraneniya i sotsial’nogo razvitiya Rossiyskoy Federatsii ot 15 marta 2006 № 154 [ On measures on improvement of medical care for diseases of the breast: Order of the Ministry of Health and Social Development of the Russian Federation on March 15, 2006 No. 154]. Sobranie zakonodatel’stva RF [ Collection of Laws of the Russian Federation], 2006, no. 21, pp. 112-139. (in Russian).
- Pavlov A.S., Mustafin Ch.K., Vartanyan K.F. Sposob differentsial’noy diagnostiki dobrokachestvennykh i zlokachestvennykh opukholey molochnoy zhelezy [The method of differential diagnosis of benign and malignant breast tumors]. Patent RF no. 2307578, 2007. (in Russian).
- Potanina Yu.A., Dartau L.A., Belokon’ O.V. Komp’yuternaya tekhnologiya EDIFAR kak sredstvo sbora dannykh ot naseleniya [ EDIFAR computer technology as a means of collecting data from population ]. Moscow, “Moskovskiy litsey” Publ., 1999. 295 p. (in Russian).
- Prokopenko S.P. Invazivnaya rentgenologiya v diagnostike i lechenii kist molochnoy zhelezy. Avtoreferat kand. diss. [Invasive radiology in the diagnosis and treatment of breast cysts. Abstract of cand. diss.]. M oscow , 1999. 23 p . ( In Russian, unpublished ).
- Rozhkova N.I., Zubarev A.V., Sherstneva T.V., Khokhlova E.A. Possibilities of sonoelastography in clarifying the diagnosis of malignant breast disease. Vestnik Rossiyskogo nauchnogo tsentra rentgenoradiologii = Herald of the Russian scientific center of radiology and nuclear medicine , 2011, is. 11. Available at: http://vestnik.rncrr.ru/vestnik/v11/papers/khokh_v11.htm, accessed 01.11.2014. (in Russian).
- Rossiyskiy statisticheskiy ezhegodnik. 2013: Statisticheskiy sbornik [Russian statistical Yearbook. 2013: Statistical compendium]. Moscow, Rosstat Publ., 2013. 786 p. (in Russian).
- Semiglazov V.V., Topuzov E.E. Rak molochnoy zhelezy [Breast cancer]. Moscow, MEDpress inform Publ., 2009. 176 p. (in Russian).
- Sotsial’no znachimye zabolevaniya naseleniya Rossii v 2012 godu: Statisticheskie materialy [ Socially significant diseases of the population of Russia in 2012: Statistical materials ]. Ministerstvo zdravookhraneniya RF; Departament analiza, prognoza i innovatsionnogo razvitiya zdravookhraneniya [ The Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation. Department of Analysis, Forecasting and Innovation for Health Development ]. Moscow, Publ. of Federal Research Institute for Health Organization and Informatics of Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, 2012. 67 p. (in Russian).
- Spiridonov I.N., Samorodov A.V. Metody i algoritmy vychislitel’noy diagnostiki [Methods and algorithms for computational diagnostics]. Moscow, Bauman MSTU Publ. , 2006. 53 p. (in Russian).
- Spiridonov I.N., Khrustalev A.V., Krylov Yu.V. Otsenka funktsional’nogo sostoyaniya, adaptatsionnykh vozmozhnostey i reparativnykh sposobnostey cheloveka [ Assessment of the functional status, adaptive capacity and reparative abilities of the personality ]. Moscow, Nauchnyy vestnik Publ., 2006. 48 p. (in Russian).
- Kharchenko V.P., Rozhkova N.I., Reshettsova G.V., Prokopenko S.P. According to the materials of the European Congress of Radiology 2007 . 5 Vserossiyskaya nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsiya s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem “Organizatsionnye, meditsinskie i tekhnicheskie aspekty klinicheskoy mammologii”: mater . [Proc. of the 5th All-Russian scientific-practical conference with international participation “Organizational, medical and technical aspects of the clinical breast care”]. Moscow, 2007, pp.189-194. (in Russian).
- Kharchenko V.P., Rozhkova N.I., eds. Klinicheskaya mammologiya: temat. sb. Vyp. 1 [ Clinical mammalogy: thematic collection . Vol. 1 ]. Moscow, STROM Publ., 2005, pp. 66-68. (in Russian).
- Khrustalev A.V., Spiridonov I.N. Features measurement of geometrical parameters of the iris. Biomeditsinskie tekhnologii i radioelektronika = Biomedical Radioelectronics , 2005, no. 9, pp. 17-21. (in Russian).
- Castro G.D., Quintans L.N., Maciel M.E., Castro J.A. Preventive Effects of Plant Polyphenols in the Promotion of Mammary Cancer and Testicular Damage Induced by Alcohol Drinking. Polyphenols in Human Health and Disease , 2014, v ol. 2, pp. 1181-1190.
- Courdi A., Chamorey E., Ferrero J.-M., Hannoun-Lévi J.-M. Influence of internal mammary node irradiation on long-term outcome and contralateral breast cancer incidence in node-negative breast cancer patients. Radiotherapy and Oncology , 2013, vol. 108, is. 2, pp. 259-265.
- Hunt K.K., Robb G.L., Strom E.A., Ueno N.T. Breast Cancer . Springer, New York , 2008. 562 p. DOI: 10.1007/978-0-387-34952-7
- Vainio H., Bianchini F., eds. IARC Handbooks of Cancer Prevention. Vol. 7. Breast Cancer Screening . Lyon, France, IARC Press, 2002. 229 p.
- Jiang J., Yang X., Fan L., Guo M., Zhang Y. A pilot study on thoracoscopic internal mammary lymphatic chain dissection for breast cancer. The Breast , 2008, vol. 17, is. 6, pp. 568-573. DOI: 10.1016/j.breast.2008.08.002
- Li C. Breast Cancer Epidemiology . Springer New York , 2010. 417 p. DOI:10.1007/978-1-4419-0685-4
- Rajkumar L., Arumugam A., Elsayed A., Schecter S. Long-term hormonal promotion overcomes genetic resistance to mammary cancer. Steroids , 2011, vol. 76, is. 1-2, pp. 31-37.